Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Stylista's Guide to Thrifting

My mother started dragging me into thrift shops and antique stores when I was just a wee one. I remember hating these excursions- dusty, smelly, no sparkly jewelery display cases for me to leave nose smudges on!

(Thrifter-in-training)

As I grew older, though, I began to love thrifting, the majority of my wardrobe having been dug out of a Goodwill or Salvation Army. Among some of my favorite finds were a brand-new pair of puple plaid shiny vans, a Moschino Cheap & Chic blazer (real talk!), and countless flannels.

Not everyone loves thrifting. Or if one does, it can get overwhelming and frustrating... but not anymore!

Here's a few tricks for a successful thrift adventure:

1) Dress appropriately. If you wear things that make trying on clothes easier you'll be a much happier camper. I recommend:
-Slip-on shoes or flats, which make trying on bottoms and thrifted kicks less of a headache
-A cami, which will help you visualize a low-cut dress or sheer blouse better. Plus, it's nice to have a barrier against your skin.
-Limit the jewelery you wear, as it'll just get caught as you try on clothes.

2) Prioritize. What do you want to check out first? Are you looking for anything in particular? If you don't need any more jeans, skip the jeans.

4) Use a critical eye- but not a cynical one! If you
feel as if something doesn't fit or you just might not be able to get the stain out, don't risk it. On the other hand, thrifted clothing is a great way to try out a new style or look without blowing tons of cash on it. Be adventurous!

3) Set a budget and use cash only. You'll be less likely to buy things needlessly if you bring cash and leave your card at home.


Here's some gems we found on a recent excursion:

(Keepin' it Seattle hipster)

(L. struck gold- LITERALLY. It was $15!)

(I'm starting to wish I had actually bought this)

What are your thrifting tricks? What's the best thing you've ever found? Or better yet, what's the worst?!

-B

3 comments:

  1. I found a gorgeous pair of dressy Nine West flats that look very similar to the classic Tory Burch flat. They were $3 and just my size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $2 sperrys
    $28 7's
    $3 dollar vertical striped button ups
    $.95 blind people glaucoma shades
    $3 original reversible 90's basketball jerseys(to be worn as a tank of course)

    and the list gooooes onnnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i look like SUCH a hipster...
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete

avandia recall