Friday, April 22, 2011

"Balenciaga and Spain" at the de Young Museum

Hi everyone! I've been lucky enough to have spent my vacation in the Bay Area, with many trips to San Francisco on the glorious public transportation available.

On Tuesday my mom and I checked out the "Balenciaga and Spain" exhibit at the de Young Museum, containing a showcase of some of Balenciaga's most famous 20th-century designs. Coming within inches of the silk-taffeta and hand-embroidered creations that influenced designers such as Oscar de la Renta and Givenchy.

Below are just a few snapshots taken off the web -the great thing about seeing his pieces in a museum was that the exhibit offered many insights into the religious (one beautiful sheath gown embroidered with crystals actually featured a crown of thorns pattern) and Spanish cultural influences on Balenciaga's designs. Art, in my opinion, is often more greatly appreciated when inspiration and influence are taken into account.


I wanted to walk out of there with every dress stuffed under my arm (respectfully and reverently stuffed, of course)! On a personal note, two weeks from now I'll be in Seattle for summer break... it doesn't even seem real that I'm already half-way through college. Someone pinch me! (not really)

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia recall